A flexible user-space application that allows controlling the device settings for the IPv4/v6 protocols.
Uses netlink sockets - a way to communicate between the user space and the kernel networking layer.
It encompasses the following tools
- link - reading and setting network device options
- addr - manipulation of IPv4/v6 addresses on a device
- route - interface the kernel routing tables
- rule - methods for enforcing policy on routing tables
- neigh - listing and describing the neighbors associated with this host
- tunnel - management of encapsulated traffic over layer - 3/4 tunnels